When it comes to photo-sharing, Instagram has a lot of personal information. For example, I have images from my university days on my account! In order to maintain its security, it is important that you change your Instagram password on a regular basis.
This guide explains how to change or reset your Instagram password if your account has been hacked or if you’ve forgotten your current password.
The important this is that, make sure not to use a weak, easily guessable password. Always use a combination of at least six numbers, letters, punctuation symbols, etc.
How to change your Instagram password on iPhone or Android
1. Open the Instagram app, go to your profile and tap the hamburger icon (three short lines) at the top right.
2. Tap Settings → Security → Password.
3. Enter your current password and then the new strong password.
4. Finally, tap Save.
How to change your Instagram password using the desktop website
1. Visit Instagram.com on your Mac or PC and login if needed.
2. Go to your profile and click the gear icon next to Edit Profile.
3. Click Change Password.
4. Enter your current (old) password and the new password you wish to set.
5. Finally, click Change Password.
How to reset your Instagram password on iPhone and Android
If you have forgotten your Instagram password, you can easily reset it by following the steps below.
- Open the Instagram app. (If you are already logged in, go to your profile → hamburger icon → Settings → Log out)
- Tap Forgot password?.
- Enter your username or phone number and proceed.
- Instagram will send you an email or text to your registered email address or phone number.
- From the email, you can directly log in to Instagram or reset your Instagram password.
How to reset your Instagram password using the desktop website
Visit Instagram’s Reset Password page.
Enter your email, phone, or username to get the login link.
Follow the received instructions to log in or reset your password.
- If you are already logged in to Instagram on the web, click your profile picture from the top.
- Click Settings → Change Password.
- Click Forgot Password → Send Login Link.
- Follow the instructions sent to you in the email.
Now you how to change or reset the Instagram password. But to make it extra secure, you must enable two-factor authentication. This will ensure that even if someone knows your password or retrieve it from a data breach, they cannot log in to your account without the 2-factor verification code