Snapchat doesn’t allow users to change their usernames or transfer account data between usernames. This article teaches you how to work around those obstacles by changing your Snapchat display name, or creating a new account and saving your friends’ usernames to add them to your new account.
Change Your Snapchat Display Name
First, there is a clever way to replace your username with a custom Display Name. Your username remains the same, but it’s hardly visible to your friends.
Here’s how to do it.
- Open Snapchat and select your profile/Bitmoji icon in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Select the gear icon in the upper-right corner to go to your Settings.
- Select Name.
- Enter a new display name in the Name box.
- Tap Save.
The name that you save in the Name field appears in your friends’ chats and stories instead of your username.
The only time a friend might see your username is if they view your profile during a chat (which shows your snapcode, name, username, snap score, and snapchat emojis) or if they select your Display Name when they search for friends.
Make a New Snapchat Account and Username
Another way to change your Snapchat username is to create an entirely new account. If you choose this option, you will manually add your friends to your new account. Here’s how to save your friends’ Snapchat names and then create a new account.
- Select Chat and choose the New Chat icon in the upper-right corner.
- Scroll to All to view your friends in alphabetical order. Write down each name or take a screenshot of the list. Select the X in the upper-right corner to cancel the New Chat.
- Search for the first friend in your list by typing their name in the search field at the top of the screen.
- Write down the username that appears under their Display Name. Repeat #4 to find all of your friends’ usernames.
- Select the X in the search bar to exit search. Select your profile/Bitmoji icon and then choose the gear icon in the upper-right corner to access Settings.
- Select Log Out at the bottom of the Settings list, and confirm that you want to log out of your account.
- Select Sign Up to create a new account with your new username.
- After you complete the account setup process for your new account, select the magnifying glass icon to search for your friends’ usernames. Select Add to add them.Alternatively, if your friends are in your device’s contact list, sync your contacts to your account to add them in bulk and speed up the process.
- How do I find someone on Snapchat without their username?You don’t need someone’s username to add them on Snapchat. You can also use their phone number. If the person is in your phone contacts, go to the Quick Add screen on Snapchat; then select All Contacts to see everyone you know on Snapchat.
- How do I find a Snapchat username?In the app, tap the image next to a friend’s name to pull up their profile. Their username will be under their nickname. A person’s username will always appear in smaller type under their real name (or the one you have in your phone contacts), even if you don’t follow each other.
How to Change Your Snapchat Display Name on Mobile
If you want to update your display name, this action gives you the freedom to create something uniquely recognizable so that other users would know that it’s you. Here’s how to change your Snapchat display name on mobile:
- Open your Snapchat app.
- Go to “My Profile” and click on the “Settings“ wheel icon.
- Click on “Name” to remove, edit, or write a new display name.
- Once you’ve entered your new display name, tap “Save,” and everyone will see it on your profile. However, if they have your contact saved under your old name, they’ll have to edit your contact and save it under the new one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some more answers to your frequently asked questions about Snapchat.
Can I change my Snapchat display name on a desktop?
Say you momentarily lose access to your phone and want to change your Snapchat display name. Unfortunately, in this situation, you are out of luck. Although you can log in to your account on desktop via the Snapchat Login page, changing your display name is not an option.
What do I do if someone else changed my username?
One of the reasons Snapchat says it limits the number of times you can change your username is for security purposes. If someone else accessed your Snapchat account and changed your username, you will receive an email with a link for help.
Click on the link within that email to report the unauthorized change. You will also need to reset your Snapchat password.
What is the difference between a username and a display name?
You may have noticed your Snapchat account has two personal identifiers. The first, your display name, is what others see. When you send a Snap or post a Story, Snapchat displays your display name.