Create an Instagram creator account
Instagram is a vibrant community where public figures and people connect and engage. If you already have a personal Instagram profile or a professional account, converting it to a creator account lets you access features that make it easier to control your online presence, understand your growth and manage your messages.
If you don’t already have a personal Instagram account, learn how to get started.
What is a creator account?
A creator account is best for public figures, content producers, artists and influencers. It provides:
Flexible profile controls
You can choose to hide or display category info and contact buttons on your profile.
More growth tools
Get more advanced insights and reach more people with promotions.
A new inbox makes it easier to manage message requests and connect with fans.
Set up a creator account
You can convert your personal profile or business profile into a creator account to access features that make it easier to control your online presence, understand your growth and manage your messages. If your personal account is private, completing these steps will make it public. Note that all pending follow requests will be automatically accepted when you go public.
Switch to a creator account
- Go to your account and tap .
- Select .
- Select Account.
If you are migrating from a personal account, choose Switch to professional account and tap Creator.
If you are migrating from a Business profile, choose Switch to creator account.
- Select your category. You can choose a category that best describes what you do.
- If desired, connect to your Facebook Page.
If you have a Facebook Page you would like to link to your account, select it from the list that appears.
If you do not want to link a Facebook Page, select Skip.
- Review your contact information. At least one form of contact information is required. You’ll have the option to display or hide this on your profile.
- Chose your profile display options. You can decide whether to hide or display your category and contact details on your profile.
Switch back to personal account
If you’ve converted your personal Instagram profile to a business account, you can switch it back at any time.
To convert back to a personal profile:
- Go to your profile and tap in the top-right corner.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Switch to personal account.
- Tap Switch back to confirm.
Note: Each time you switch back to a personal account, your insights data on Instagram will be deleted.
Set up a professional account
On Instagram, you can convert your personal profile to a business account to access features that can help you grow your business.
Note: you may only have five Instagram accounts at a time.
To switch your profile to a business account:
- Go to your profile and tap in the top right-hand corner.
- Tap Settings.
- For some accounts, the Switch to professional account option will be listed directly under Settings.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Switch to professional account.
- Tap Continue.
- Select a category for your business and tap Done.
- Tap OK to confirm.
- Tap Business.
- Tap Next.
- Add contact details and tap Next. Or tap Don’t use my contact info to skip this step.
- If you’d like, you can follow the steps to connect your business account to a Facebook Page associated with your business. This step is optional, and will make it easier to use all of the features available for businesses across the Facebook family of apps. At this time, only one Facebook Page can be connected to your business account.
- Tap X in the top-right corner to return to your profile.
With a business account, you’ll be able to access insights that can help you understand who is engaging with your business on Instagram. You’ll also have access to the professional dashboard, where you can track your performance, access and discover professional tools and explore educational information curated by Instagram.
You also have the option to display or hide your business category and contact information on your profile. After setting up, go to your profile and tap Edit profile. Go to Profile display under Public business information to choose whether you want to hide or display your category label and contact info. Then, tap Done.