A narcissistic is a person who has a disorder of thinking about themselves and themselves alone. It involves being self-centered, arrogant, and selfish. Narcissists only care about themselves and are not concerned with other people’s issues. Narcissism is a character/trait but it can develop into a disorder. However, some narcissists can be the most charming and charismatic people, especially in new relationships before they can show the other side eventually.
What are some of the signs that you are a narcissist?
• Narcissistic disorder patients may be identified if they suffer from the following signs and symptoms.
• Sense of entitlement – You want to be seen or identified as the most important person or the best in everything you do. You also believe all your wishes should be met without fail.
• You lack empathy – You do not identify or feel what other people feel. You do not add emotion to other people’s ordeals. It might be the loss of a loved one, loss of a job, winning a contract that a close person shared with you but you have no sense of feeling or emotion, you have some trait of narcissism.
You do not have long-term friends – If you can’t keep long-term friends, there is a big possibility that you are a narcissist. Most Narcissists only keep some casual acquaintances and can’t keep long-term friends.
• Need for admiration and arrogance – More than often you want to be constantly admired and praised even when you do your responsibilities. If you are not recognized for your dressing, work done, how you look, etc. you may turn arrogant or even abusive.
• You have manipulative behavior – You want things to go your way, your ideas to be taken into consideration, and in the long run you become controlling.
How Can You Control/stop being a Narcissist?
Once you realize the above characteristics, all is not lost since you can control this trait and avoid its escalation into a disorder. Here are a few pointers you can take;
• Identifying what triggers the narcissistic behavior – For example, if anger brings out a narcissistic character on the show, search for better ways to deal with anger through your counselor.
• Practice self-love – practicing self-love is one of the best therapies a narcissist may undertake to overcome this trait. Once you have self-love and acceptance, you will not need anyone to tell you that you are good enough.
• Manage your impulses – More often narcissists make hasty decisions without thinking of the repercussions. To overcome this, take your time when it comes to decision-making putting into consideration the consequences.
• Train yourself to have empathetic responses – In as much, it may be hard, train yourself slowly to respond to people’s situations with some empathy.
• Take responsibility for everything that happens in your life. Do not think people are the cause of why your life is the way it is. Take full responsibility for your actions and don’t put them on other people.
• Consider psychotherapy – looking for professional help in the early stages of narcissistic traits would play a big role in the prevention of even a bigger problem.