If you have the Spotify app downloaded to your Mac computer, chances are you’ve noticed that the app opens every time you start up your computer.
By default, it automatically starts every time you sign in to your computer. If you don’t want it running in the background and slowing down your boot process, you can disable Spotify’s auto-start feature.
This is a default setting — but it can easily be changed within the Spotify app itself, or using your computer operating System Preferences.
How to Stop Spotify’s Automatic Startup on Windows 10
To find this option, open this app. You can launch it from the Start menu or double-click the green Spotify icon in your notification area (system tray) if it’s already running.
1. At the top-left corner of its window, click menu (…) > Edit > Preferences.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the Settings page and click the “Show Advanced Settings” button.’
3. Look for the “Startup and Window Behavior” option—you may need to scroll up a bit.
4. To the right of “Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer,” click the dropdown box and select “No.”
You can now leave the Settings page. Spotify won’t automatically start when you sign in.
Option 2 (via the Task Manager)
To launch the Task Manager, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc or right-click the Windows taskbar and select “Task Manager.”
1. Right-click a blank area of the taskbar, then choose “Task Manager“.
2. Select the “Startup” tab.
3. Right-click “Spotify“, then select “Disable“
How to stop Spotify from opening on startup on a Mac computer, in settings
1. Launch the Spotify app on your Mac — you can search for it using Spotlight (Command+Space) or find it by going to Finder > Applications.
2. Select Spotify from the menu at the top of the screen, and click on Preferences.
3. In Spotify’s Preferences, scroll to the bottom of the page, then select “Show Advanced Settings.”
4. Scroll to find Startup and Window Behavior.
5. Using the drop-down menu, select “No” — it will no longer open on startup.
How to stop Spotify from opening on startup on a Mac, in System Preferences
1. Launch System Preferences.
2. Find and select Users & Groups from the System Preferences menu.
3. Select Login Items from the option at the top.
4. Then click on the plus sign symbol at the bottom of the page.
5. Search for it under Applications, and click Add.
6. Check the box under the column titled “Hide” for Spotify.
Your Mac will now hide the app upon startup of your computer. You can find Spotify by using Spotlight or searching for it in your Applications folder.